Saint Brendan Catholic Church
Founded April 22, 1954

St. Brendan, Patron of the Diocese of Kerry and Clonfert in Ireland, has been chosen as the patron Saint of our new parish.  Choice of his name is very appropriate for he was a renowned pioneer of foreign missions and Florida is still a great of missionary endeavor - 1953.

St. Brendan’s last words before he died were, “I fear as I pass away all alone, and as the journey is darksome, I fear the unknown region, the presence of the King, the sentence of the Judge.”  In all honor, Brendan, Saint and Navigator - who was laid to rest in the place of his choice, Clonfert, May 16, 577, at the age of 94.

May he, an outstanding example of heroic fortitude and indomitable courage, guide us always in all our undertakings.

The first Mass for St. Brendan Church was celebrated in a tent on Dr. Sena’s ranch located at S.W. 32nd Street and 102nd Avenue, midnight, Christmas Eve, December 1953.

On the 22nd day of April 1954, our Parish was officially founded.  His Excellency, The Most Reverend Archbishop Joseph P. Hurley, D.D. appointed the first Pastor, Reverend Thomas O’Donovan.

Mass was celebrated at the ranch for few months and then at West Miami Junior High School.  On Christmas Eve, 1956, the first Mass was said in our Church and was dedicated by Archbishop Hurley in February 1957.

In 1958, the new Diocese of Miami was formed.  The first public function by the new Bishop, Coleman Carroll, was the Confirmation Ceremony at St. Brendan Church in the fall of 1958.

The first permanent structure at St. Brendan was the elementary school, for which ground was broken August 29, 1954.  In response to an invitation by Father O’Donovan, requesting religious to conduct the newly established parochial school, four Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth arrived August 27, 1955, from Chicago, Illinois.  Together with two lay teachers, the faculty of St. Brendan School was formed.  On September 1, 1955, the initial registration of six classes consisting of two first grades, one second, third, fourth and a kindergarten totaled 275.  Almost simultaneously 200 children were enrolled in C.C.D. Program on September 11, 1955.  The Parish was privileged to have Archbishop Hurley dedicate the school on October 30, 1955.  The following year, St. Brendan School increased its number of classrooms by the addition of another second and fifth grade and by September 1957, affixed a third and sixth classroom.

In 1960, the school was staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth of the Province of Philadelphia.  At the present time, 2019,  we have 772 children enrolled in Pre-K 3 to Eighth Grade consisting of: PK3: 3 classrooms, PK4: 4 classrooms, Kinder: 2 classrooms, 1st Grade: 2 classrooms, 2nd Grade: 3 classrooms, 3rd Grade: 3 classrooms, 4th Grade: 3 classrooms, 5th Grade: 3 classrooms, 6th Grade: 3 classrooms, 7th Grade: 3 classrooms and 8th Grade: 3 classrooms.  Also, we have 43 teachers, 16 Teacher Assistants and 7 staff members. 
St. Brendan School became an accredited elementary school May 9, 1975, through the combined efforts of Sister M. Honesta (deceased) and her committee.  In 1988 an after school program was started to server the working families of our school.  In 1991/92 school year, a pre-kindergarten program was established.

The CCD Department has a full program with a director, secretary, lay volunteers, covering First Grade through high school.  We also have a large Adult Education Program (RCIA) with a high number of adults each year receiving instructions from Baptism through Confirmation.

January 6, 1980, the groundbreaking ceremony took place for the building of our new Church and on May 17, 1981, the Church was dedicated by Archbishop of Miami Edward J. McCarthy.  The new St. Brendan Church displays an atmosphere of joy, serenity and peacefulness.  The surroundings and environment have been designed for the whole family and each and every celebrant who will deliver God’s message to the people.  The main Church has a maximum seating for 1100 people and the chapel will accommodate 140 people.  We also have an Adoration Chapel 24 hours - 365 days for the community to pray.  

The material used in the building of the Church was inlaid red cedar and Mexican onyx.  The outside cross which stands high against the skyline is in honor of the high faith and effort of the many parishioners who have made this project a reality.  The black anodized aluminum reaches 50 feet in the air and is eight feet wide at the cross member.

In the summer of 1987, the remodeling and rebuilding of the original Church began.  On September 11, 1988, the new Parish Center was dedicated and made possible by the generosity of dedicated stewardship families.  It houses a complete cafeteria, five meeting rooms or one large hall.  A plaza separates the center from the school.

The ethnic makeup of our parish community has changed over the years.  We are now considered a bilingual parish.  After the 1960 Castro take-over of Cuba, the parish welcomed many refugees who have since made this their permanent home.  Throughout the years, the multi-cultural population including, the Caribbean, Central and South America immigrants have brought many traditions into our community.
From 100 families in 1954, we have now, 2019, over 2013 families, 4762 members with 530 families in our school.  We have, at present, eight Masses on the weekend, four in English and four in Spanish with the School Family Mass one Sunday each month during the 11:00 A.M.  Mass.  Our average weekend attendance is 2047 parishioners.  We also have 3 Daily Masses, one in English and two in Spanish.

We, the community of St. Brendan, are very grateful for the good pastors and priests that we have been blessed with.  We are also grateful for the thousands of parishioners who have come and gone and especially to all those who remain with us and are committed to making this an international community of peace and faith, serving each other for the love of God.

    

We dedicate this parish history to the following pastors who helped make this parish what it is today:
Msgr. Thomas O’Donovan 1953 - 1964 (deceased)          
Msgr. Rowan T. Rastatter - 1964 - 1970 (deceased)
Msgr. David E. Bushey - 1970 - 1981 (deceased)          
Rev. Jose P. Nickse - 1981 - 2002 (deceased)         
Rev. Charles Peterman (Administrator) - 2002 - 2003 (deceased)          
Rev. Fernando E. Heria - 2003 - 2016 
Rev. Miguel A. Sepulveda - 2017 - present

“Verily, when the day of judgement comes, we shall be asked not only what we have read, but what we have done.” Saint Thomas. 

 

Iglesia Católica de San Brendan  
Fundada el 22 de abril de 1954

San Brendan, Patrono de la Diócesis de Kerry y Clonfert en Irlanda, ha sido elegido como el santo patrono de nuestra nueva parroquia. La elección de su nombre es muy apropiada, ya que fue gran evangelizador de tierras y misiones extranjeras, y Florida, sigue siendo un lugar misionero: 1953.

Las últimas palabras de San Brendan antes de morir fueron: "Temo que muera solo, y como el viaje es extraño, temo a la región desconocida, a la presencia del Rey, a la sentencia del Juez."  San Brendan, Santo y Navegante, fue sepultado en el lugar de su elección, en Clonfert, el 16 de mayo del año 577 a la edad de 94 años.

Que él, un ejemplo sobresaliente de fortaleza heroica y coraje indomable nos guíe siempre en todas nuestras tareas. 

La primera misa por la Iglesia San Brendan se celebró en una tienda de campaña en el rancho del Dr. Sena, ubicado en Sur Oeste Calle 32 y Avenida 102, a la medianoche, un día de Nochebuena en diciembre de 1953.

El 22 de abril de 1954, se fundó oficialmente nuestra parroquia. Su Excelencia, el Reverendísimo Arzobispo Joseph P. Hurley, D.D. nombró al primer párroco, el Reverendo Thomas O'Donovan.  

La misa se celebró en el rancho durante unos meses y luego en “West Miami Junior High School.” En la víspera de Navidad de 1956, la primera misa se celebró en nuestra Iglesia y fue celebrada por el por el Arzobispo Hurley en febrero de 1957.

En 1958 se formó la nueva Diócesis de Miami. La primera función pública del nuevo obispo, Coleman Carroll, fue la Ceremonia de Confirmación en la Iglesia de St. Brendan en el otoño de 1958.

La primera estructura permanente en San Brendan fue la escuela primaria, por lo cual, se dedicó el terreno el 29 de agosto de 1954.

En respuesta a una invitación del Padre O'Donovan, solicitando a los religiosos que dirigieran la escuela parroquial recién establecida, cuatro Hermanas de la Sagrada Familia de Nazaret llegó el 27 de agosto de 1955, desde Chicago, Illinois.  También junto con dos maestros laicos, se formó la facultad de la Escuela St. Brendan. El 1 de septiembre de 1955, el registro inicial de seis clases, que consistía en dos primeros grados, un segundo, tercero, cuarto y un jardín de infantes ascendió a 275.  Casi simultáneamente se inscribieron 200 niños en Programa de Catecismo el 11 de septiembre de 1955.  La parroquia tuvo el privilegio de que el Arzobispo Hurley dedicara la escuela el 30 de octubre de 1955.  Al año siguiente, la Escuela St. Brendan aumentó su número de salones de clase con la adición de otro segundo y quinto grado y, en septiembre de 1957, colocó un tercer y sexto salón de clases.

En 1960, la escuela estaba integrada por las Hermanas de la Sagrada Familia de Nazaret de la Provincia de Filadelfia.  En la actualidad, 2019, tenemos 772 niños inscritos de Pre-K 3 a 8vo grado que consta de: PK3: 3 aulas, PK4: 4 aulas, Kinder: 2 aulas, 1er Grado: 2 aulas, 2do Grado: 3 aulas, 3er Grado: 3 aulas, 4to Grado: 3 aulas, 5to Grado: 3 aulas, 6to Grado: 3 aulas, 7mo Grado: 3 aulas y 8vo Grado: 3 aulas. También tenemos 43 maestros, 16 asistentes de maestro y 7 empleados en la oficina.

La Escuela San Brendan se convirtió en una escuela primaria acreditada el 9 de mayo de 1975, gracias a los esfuerzos combinados de la Hermana M. Honesta (fallecida) y su comité.  En 1988, se inició un programa extracurricular para servir a las familias trabajadoras de nuestra escuela.  En el año escolar 1991/92, se estableció un programa de prejardín de infantes.

El Departamento de Catecismo tiene un programa completo que cuenta con un director, secretaria, y voluntarios laicos que imparten clase, que cubren desde el primer grado hasta la escuela secundaria.  También tenemos un gran Programa de Educación Religiosa para Adultos (RCIA) con un alto número de adultos cada año donde reciben instrucciones desde el Bautismo hasta la Confirmación.

El 6 de enero de 1980, se llevó a cabo la ceremonia de inicio de la construcción de nuestra nueva Iglesia, y el 17 de mayo de 1981, la Iglesia fue dedicada por el Arzobispo de Miami, Edward J. McCarthy.  La nueva Iglesia de San Brendan muestra una atmósfera de alegría, serenidad y paz.  El entorno y los alrededores han sido diseñados para toda la familia y para todos y cada uno de los sacerdotes que llevan el mensaje de Dios a los fieles.  La Iglesia principal tiene una capacidad máxima de 1100 personas, y la capilla, tiene capacidad para 140 personas.  También tenemos una Capilla de Adoración que está abierta 24 horas, 365 días al año para que la comunidad ore.

El material utilizado en el edificio de la Iglesia esta incrustado con cedro rojo y ónix mexicano. La cruz exterior que se alza contra el horizonte es en honor a la gran fe y el esfuerzo de los muchos feligreses que han hecho realidad este proyecto.  El aluminio anodizado negro alcanza los 50 pies en el aire y tiene ocho pies de ancho en el travesaño.

En el verano de 1987, comenzó la remodelación y reconstrucción de la Iglesia original.  El 11 de septiembre de 1988, el nuevo Centro Parroquial fue dedicado y fue posible gracias a la generosidad de familias dedicadas a la parroquia; alberga una cafetería completa, cinco salas de reuniones o un gran salón, y una plaza, separa el Centro Parroquial de la escuela.

La composición étnica de nuestra comunidad parroquial ha cambiado con los años. Ahora somos considerados una parroquia bilingüe.  Después de que Castro tomara el poder en Cuba en 1960, la parroquia recibió a muchos refugiados que desde entonces han hecho de este su hogar permanente.  A lo largo de los años, la población multicultural, que incluye los inmigrantes del Caribe, América Central y del Sur, han traído muchas de sus tradiciones a nuestra comunidad.

De 100 familias en 1954, tenemos ahora, 2019, más de 2013 familias, 4762 miembros con 530 familias en nuestra escuela. En la actualidad, contamos con ocho misas el fin de semana, cuatro en inglés y cuatro en español con la misa escolar un domingo cada mes durante la misa de 11:00 a.m.

Nuestra asistencia promedio de fin de semana es 2047 parroquianos.  También tenemos 3 Misas diarias, una en inglés y dos en español.

Nosotros, la comunidad de St. Brendan, estamos muy agradecidos por los buenos párrocos y sacerdotes con los que hemos sido bendecidos.  También estamos agradecidos por los miles de feligreses que han venido y los que se han ido, pero especialmente por todos aquellos que aún permanecen con nosotros y están comprometidos a hacer de ésta, una comunidad internacional de paz y fe, sirviéndose mutuamente por el amor a Dios.

Dedicamos esta historia parroquial a los siguientes párrocos que ayudaron a hacer de esta parroquia lo que es hoy:
Msgr. Thomas O’Donovan 1953 - 1964 (difunto)          
Msgr. Rowan T. Rastatter - 1964 - 1970 (difunto)
Msgr. David E. Bushey - 1970 - 1981 (difunto)          
Rev. Jose P. Nickse - 1981 - 2002 (difunto)         
Rev. Charles Peterman (Administrador) - 2002 - 2003 (difunto)          
Rev. Fernando E. Heria - 2003 - 2016 
Rev. Miguel A. Sepulveda - 2017 - presente

"En verdad, cuando llegue el día del juicio, se nos preguntará no sólo lo que hemos leído, sino lo que hemos hecho."  Santo Tomás